Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Keep the Obama products

Hats, shirts, pins, posters, paintings, you name it, Obama's on everything. During the inauguration, one could buy Obama products on nearly every street corner. I was hoping that this display of entrepreneurship and unfettered capitalism would serve as a prime example of the power of the free market. Now I'm hearing that rather than recognize the beauty of the forces at work, the Obama administration may move to "crackdown on Obama paraphenilia" in order to protect the "President's brand".

1.) As if it weren't clear how little Obama and Democrats understand the concept of stimulus and how to create wealth/prosperity, the administration is evidently considering putting its hands in the market for products which include Obama's name and picture. I don't have the data, but I'd like to see how much money was created and earned by individuals who took advantage of the demand for Obama. I bet it did more for their welfare then would a $50 million handout to the National Endownment for the Arts.

2.) Where was the effort to protect the President's brand when Bush's face was being burned and tshirts made with "Buck Fush"?

3.) As a public servant, the President, does not have a "brand" that he owns, nor should it ever be okay for the government to meddle in political speech, including deciding when, where and how he can be pictured.

1 comment:

Sean said...

1) http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/02/copyfight-erupt.html

2)http://www.theonion.com/content/video/economists_warn_anti_bush