Throwing a shoe at the very man who helped usher in the liberty to throw the shoe.
Reminds me of the folks in Berkeley who protested the presence of local Marine Corps recruiters.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Pondering the complex challenges our country faces with the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and an unrelenting defense.
2 comments:
I'm no fan of George Bush but he obviously didn't deserve that type of disrespect. No one does. I'll have you know that just because I am a liberal doesn't mean I support blatant disrespect towards the President of the United States even if I feel he did a bad job.
What I am bothered by is Bush's reaction. I am educated enough to know that throwing a shoe, exposing the soles of your feet, etc. in the Middle East is rude and in some cases the equivalent to spitting at someone. And all Mr. Bush had to say was "So what if he threw a shoe at me?" I'm sure in the heat of the moment it was meant to come off as nonchalant or calm and collected, etc., but it was perceived as arrogant, ignorant of cultural practices, and as a deaf ear to a profoundly rude statement. I'm not saying he had to cry about it but a dignified bit of outrage would have sent a message to the world that that type of behavior is seriously uncalled for it. I think Bush made a powerful statement in the wrong direction by ignoring it. In this case, ignoring it is the equivalent of encouraging it. By ignoring it and joking about it, he's let American's know it's okay to laugh about it too in a sense without saying so verbally. You ignore political jeers and taunts, not a physical attack. The reaction in a sense may have aggravated the situation.
P.S. In the nicest way possible, Andrew, It seems you've went MIA. I know we used to be friendly but, since the election frenzy you've kinda dropped outta sight and never say hello. What's up with that?
If you love politics as much as I think you do, you'll want to run for office one day and you'll never know who you'll meet (not to say me, I definitely don't want to get into politics), who they will know, and what they will remember about you. Keeping myself connected has worked well for me, gotten me jobs out of nowhere in a bad economy, etc. Bet you'd never guess I have connections at the Cato Institute. Tried to tell you one day but never heard from you...
I read your blog because I want to learn/understand a different point of view. How do you do that if you stop listening to people who think differently? I'm telling you dude, you'll need those people one day even if they aren't on the same boat with you because we're all in the sea.
Post a Comment